Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Dreamlike



I've been a fan of Michael Whelan's art for 25 years, but I never knew the artist himself until this week when a dinner meeting regarding this year's Baby Tattooville event let to an impromptu field trip to an industrial wasteland.

I have spent countless hours wandering around the visually fascinating remains of an old oil refinery in the hills outside Los Angeles. I offered to take Michael to the location and show him around. I know from his paintings that Michael has an interest in exploring relationships between mankind's constructs and nature's, well... nature. 

What an unexpected joy to spend a few hours with a talented artist in an environment so connected to his personal visions. I feel like I lived this morning within Michael's mind's eye. Incredible.

Thanks for the doughnuts, Michael.

-Bob Self

No comments: